Las Vegas is known for its climate, with very hot summers and mild winters, making it a unique environment for rental property owners due to the amount of people moving here in droves. You would be surprised how many people will move across the country to avoid having to deal with winter and driving in the snow.
However, keeping the lucrative rental properties in good condition requires proactive maintenance strategies that take into account the challenges posed by the local climate. In today’s post, we will discuss the steps you can take to maintain your Las Vegas rental property so that it continues to attract renters and makes you more money.
The desert climate of Las Vegas can be harsh, with high temperatures and low humidity. It’s important to understand the seasonal variations in temperature and weather patterns to prepare for the impact on your rental property. Extreme heat and dry conditions can take a toll on a property, including the exterior, interior, and landscaping.
- Roof and Gutter Maintenance: Regular roof inspections are essential to verify the integrity of the structure. The monsoon season is likely to bring heavy rain and strong winds, so it’s important to be prepared. We would suggest doing a thorough roof inspection every quarter, or at least twice a year.
- Landscaping and Irrigation: Drought-tolerant landscaping options and efficient irrigation systems are critical for maintaining the exterior of your rental property. Keep in mind that maintaining all the fancy flora and fauna that tends to attract renters will require much more water than in other less scorching hot climates.
- Exterior Paint and Siding: Choosing the right materials for extreme heat and repainting and touch-up strategies can help keep your property looking great. If you are unsure of what kind of exterior paint to use on your Las Vegas rental, a list of some highly reviewed heat resistant exterior paints can be found here.
- HVAC Systems: Regular maintenance and filter replacement are essential for HVAC systems, especially in extreme heat. In hot and dry climates like Las Vegas, air conditioning will be running for much longer periods of time than in cooler climates. This puts a great amount of stress on HVAC units, which in turn causes more issues that require more maintenance.
- Flooring and Insulation: The impact of temperature on flooring materials and proper insulation for energy efficiency are important considerations for interior maintenance. We advise you to spare no expense when it comes to flooring and insulation in the Las Vegas climate.
- Window and Door Maintenance: Seal and weatherstripping considerations and window tinting for temperature control can help keep your rental property comfortable.
Pest Control and Desert Wildlife
Common pests in Las Vegas include scorpions, ants, and rodents. Strategies for prevention and control can help keep your rental property free of pests. Dealing with desert wildlife such as coyotes, rattlesnakes, and other animals requires safety measures and property protection. The last thing you will want is a tenant getting bit or stung while on the rental property.
Conserving water in a desert environment, xeriscaping, and water-efficient fixtures can help manage water scarcity. Preventing water damage through proper drainage systems is also key.
Creating a property emergency plan and preparing for power outages and extreme weather events are essential for emergency preparedness. Insurance considerations for the Las Vegas climate should also be taken into account.
Many Las Vegas landlords equip their rentals with generators in case of a power outage. Having a generator in case of emergency allows your tenants access to power during an outage or storm.
Educating tenants about climate-related property care and handling tenant requests for maintenance in extreme weather are important for maintaining rental properties. Encouraging tenants to report issues promptly is also critical.
Managing Your Rental Property with The Rental Lister
Maintaining a rental property in the Las Vegas climate requires proactive care and adaptation to the local environment. By implementing these strategies, you can help keep your rental property in good condition for years to come.
Here at the Rental Lister, we are not only the Las Vegas premier rental property management company, but also an information resource for Las Vegas landlords.
If you are interested in a property management company, trying our service is completely risk free, so call us today.